hello again.

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Baking Days

What are you doing for Labor Day?
I haven't yet decided. Wesley & I may go visit my sister & mother (finally!) b/c we've been trying to do so pretty much all of August. Also, Tsunami is calling us. More specifically, the Michael Dumit roll & the cucumber roll (minus the sauce...).
Wesley has been having chest pains for the past several months, and lately it has gotten worse. With it getting worse, we have been more and more nervous about it, and finally decided yesterday to just go to the doctor and find out what it is. We were both quite anxious about it, though Wesley seemed particularly nervous (and understandably so), especially after we had a conversation about how I heard on Paul Harvey that there is new research that says that drinking Red Bull can increase your risk for heart problems. So, we (very thankfully!!!) found out that it was not heart related and was some sort of inflamation where the sternum meets the rib cage, and Aleve will solve his problems. (HOORAY!!!)
This week so far I have baked another batch of banana bread (b/c my 2 boys seem to like it as an easy breakfast, and b/c I had bananas starting to turn brown), blueberry muffins (an Alton Brown recipe that I personally was disappointed in, though they are not particularly bad), and started a sponge for the ciabatta rolls i'll be making for tonight's pork tenderloin sandwiches. Tuesday night Wesley grilled 2 pork tenderloins (we almost all of one of them that night!), so we will be using the second tenderloin for tonight's dinner. I had originally planned to have the sandwiches last night for dinner, and chicken & dumplins tonight for dinner, but the bread didn't work out in a timely manner, so we're having the sandwiches tonight on the ciabatta rolls, and we ate McDonald's last night for dinner.
Lately Wesley & I have been getting to sleep much earlier than what used to be the norm, and I have to say, I feel Much more refreshed in the morning. I cannot remember a single time in my life where I woke up at 6:30 and didn't particularly care to go back to sleep. Generally its a struggle and a battle to make myself get out of bed. However, the "down-side" (if you want to even call it that) to this waking up early thing is I get very hungry before lunch, sometimes twice, where used to, I would just munch on a handful of cereal or something to satisfy my til lunch. But I like breakfast, and if I'll be up anyway, I may as well eat breakfast. So, maybe I'll do biscuits in the morning...we'll see.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

First, I'm Glad to hear the chest pains were not heart related! That can be totally scary! Second, to answer your question about a "Hokie Bird". Virginia Tech call themselves the "Hokies". A Hokie is a fighting gobbler (turkey) and that is their mascot. =0) If you still feel you need a vacation feel free to make the refeshing 14 hour drive up here =0). We would love to have some of your good cooking come with you too!

Unknown said...

Reading your blog makes me want to go bake! I may do that this afternoon!! Miss you!!!